Showing 18 Result(s)

I’m (weirdly) happy to be back in the office

For the last three weeks, I have been working out of the KQED headquarters in the Mission District of San Francisco. Despite several COVID-19 protocols put in place, such as mask-wearing required indoors, it’s been a mostly pleasant, productive, and even enjoyable experience. A lot of it has to do with how awesome our newly …

Structuring Mentorship Time

I have a couple of dear colleagues and friends who serve as my professional mentors. We’ve met once a month, mostly over Skype, for the last 4-5 years. We’ve seen each other through many transitions, dramas, shake-ups and job changes. When we started, we had a very simple structure to our time together. Each of …

On Work Celebrations

I’ve been thinking about work celebrations lately. At my current place of employ, KQED, they do work parties well. Which is a non-trivial job perk, the more that I think about it. As an undergrad, I volunteered at an employment agency for recently homeless individuals in downtown Los Angeles. It was a really valuable experience …

The Raccoon Circle of Sharing (ice-breaker)

The Raccoon Circle is a collection of games and ice-breakers all centered around a circle of rope or tubing used by a group (typically youth). There are hundreds and hundreds of Raccoon Circle activities that have been created and shared virally for years. You can find several online listings of activities (Jim Cain’s being the most …

What is a Community Manager? It Depends.

Last night I moderated an interesting panel of community managers working with a wide variety of institutions — one governmental, one nonprofit, and one for-profit. A friend of mine who heard about the event asked me what is a community manager. I have my own ideas about what community management means, from more than 15 …

Moderating Panel on Managing Offline Communities on August 2

I’m excited to announce that next Thursday, August 2, I will be moderating a panel discussion on “Community Managers who Manage Offline Communities” at WeWork in downtown San Francisco. I’m honored to be joined by three impressive community management professionals: Omnia Khamis, WeWork Civic Center Community Manager Ronnie Rodriguez,  Community Manager for the City and …