So I just finished School of Chocolate on Netflix. I honestly had low expectations as yet another reality cooking competition. But I have to say I found a lot to like about the show lead / master chocolatier Amaury Guichon’s approach to supporting and teaching the competitors.
Some of my observations:
- Amaury begins every challenge demoing for them a difficult technique that he then has them practice as part of the challenge
- If someone fails a challenge, he gives them extra support and even a one-on-one private lesson
- If someone is playing it safe and just doing what they know, he pushes them to go out of their comfort zone
- He gives fair, clear and honest feedback
- He steps in when someone is about to have a meltdown
- He observes and rewards improvement over time
As I think about my own teacher cohort that starts in January, I’m taking these notes to heart.